Re: kernel: padlock: VIA PadLock not detected.

From: Adam Jones
Date: Tue May 23 2006 - 15:59:51 EST

In a futile gesture against entropy, markus reichelt wrote:

> I get the following message on a Nehemiah system. Any ideas about
> that?

> kernel: CPU0: Centaur VIA Nehemiah stepping 01
> kernel: padlock: VIA PadLock not detected
>
> cat /proc/cpuinfo
[...]
> flags : fpu de tsc msr cx8 mtrr pge cmov mmx fxsr sse
> fxsr_opt

I believe the padlock support was only added in later steppings of the
Nehemiah core. My Nehemiah system here supports it:

cat /proc/cpuinfo
processor : 0
vendor_id : CentaurHauls
cpu family : 6
model : 9
model name : VIA Nehemiah
stepping : 8
cpu MHz : 997.000
cache size : 64 KB
fdiv_bug : no
hlt_bug : no
f00f_bug : no
coma_bug : no
fpu : yes
fpu_exception : yes
cpuid level : 1
wp : yes
flags : fpu vme de pse tsc msr cx8 sep mtrr pge cmov pat mmx fxsr sse rng rng_en ace ace_en
bogomips : 2007.25

(Note the rng* and ace* flags)

According to a VIA press release here:
http://www.linuxdevices.com/sponsors/SP2782600871-NS4520757633.html
only stepping 8 or later CPUs support these instructions.
--
Adam Jones (adam@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx)(http://www.yggdrasl.demon.co.uk/)
.oO("It's not like it's sigfile fodder or anything..." )