RE: APIC error on CPUx

From: Brown, Len
Date: Wed May 24 2006 - 01:25:19 EST

Vladimir's SCB2/Serverworks boots with and without "acpi=off",
and in both cases the IOAPICS are set up properly,
the device work, and there are the following messages:

APIC error on CPU1: 00(40)
APIC error on CPU0: 00(40)
APIC error on CPU0: 40(40)
APIC error on CPU0: 40(40)
APIC error on CPU0: 40(40)

These are the now infamous "Receive illegal vector" messages.
I expect this chipset has a physical APIC bus (rather than
the FSB delivery used today) which is mis-behaving.

I've never heard of this being associated with an actual
failure (such as a lost interrupt). This message is already
KERN_DEBUG -- can't get any lower priority than that.
Maybe we should put this message under apic_printk()?

Since acpi=off doesn't make any difference, I recommend
running in the default configuration without this parameter.
----
Jan's system has

APIC error on CPU0: 02(02)

Also seems to be receiving junk on the APIC bus.

> The problem goes away with noapic or acpi=off, but of course that also

> means you don't have IRQs > 15.

My comment about PIC-mode probably being okay applies to this
motherboard
but not Vladimir's above.

>>>Usually a crappy/broken/misdesigned motherboard.

>Elitegroup L7S7A2 here.

This is a SiS746 motherboard.
This kind of error seems to be relatively common on SiS.

-Len