Re: Stradis driver conflicts with all other SAA7146 drivers

From: matthieu castet
Date: Sun May 28 2006 - 13:45:42 EST

Jiri Slaby wrote:
Christer Weinigel napsal(a):

Jiri Slaby <jirislaby@xxxxxxxxx> writes:

Christer Weinigel napsal(a):

fixed in the driver. If the card doesn't have a subvendor/subdevice,
is there some way of doing a sanity check on the board to see if it
actually is a stradis card and then release the board if it isn't?

Unfortunately not.

Why not? There's an I2C bus with a bunch of devices on it. Isn't it
possible to do an I2C scan and if it doesn't match what's supposed to
be on the card fail the probe and release the PCI resources?

This is an older method not used for device drivers, but only for searching for
busses or i2c et al, of which drivers stands aside and controls the device.

If there is no FPGA or the FPGA fails to respond, that should also be
a fairly good indicator that it is not a stradis board.

Yup, but pci probing doesn't have such mechanism.
Hum ?
The driver have to return an error (negative value) in the probbing function if it detect that the card fails to respond correctly.

Same happen for i2c.
If the driver didn't manage to find what it expect on the i2c bus, the driver won't be usefull for the device, so the driver should release the device.

Matthieu