Re: [patch 34/61] lock validator: special locking: bdev

From: Arjan van de Ven
Date: Tue May 30 2006 - 01:12:41 EST

On Mon, 2006-05-29 at 18:35 -0700, Andrew Morton wrote:
> On Mon, 29 May 2006 23:25:54 +0200
> Ingo Molnar <mingo@xxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> > From: Ingo Molnar <mingo@xxxxxxx>
> >
> > teach special (recursive) locking code to the lock validator. Has no
> > effect on non-lockdep kernels.
> >

> There's no description here of the problem which is being worked around.
> This leaves everyone in the dark.

it's not really a workaround, it's a "separate the uses" thing. The real
problem is an inherent hierarchy between "disk" and "partition". Where
lots of code assumes you can first take the disk mutex, and then the
partition mutex, and never deadlock. This patch basically separates the
"get me the disk" versus "get me the partition" uses.