Re: [rfc][patch] remove racy sync_page?

From: Mark Lord
Date: Wed May 31 2006 - 08:54:30 EST

Jens Axboe wrote:

NCQ helps us with something we can never fix in software - the
rotational latency. Ordering is only a small part of the picture.

Yup. And it also helps reduce the command-to-command latencies.

I'm all for it, and have implemented tagged queuing for a variety
of device drivers over the past five years (TCQ & NCQ). In every
case people say.. wow, I expected more of a difference than that,
while still noting the end result was faster under Linux than MS$.

Of course with artificial benchmarks, and the right firmware in
the right drives, it's easier to create and see a difference.
But I'm talking more life-like loads than just a multi-threaded
random seek generator.

Cheers