Re: USB devices fail unnecessarily on unpowered hubs

From: Daniel Drake
Date: Thu Jun 01 2006 - 07:53:19 EST

Andrew Morton wrote:
(added linux-usb cc)

Yes, it sounds like we're being non-real-worldly here. This change
apparently broke things. Did it actually fix anything as well?

Gentoo recieved several reports of this. It appears that certain vendors are worse than others (Verbatim flash drives are a common culprit).

Some users tested and found that Windows has the same behaviour - it rejects these devices on unpowered hubs, and pops up a warning that not enough power is available.

I added a printk to point out when configurations are rejected due to power issues, this has been merged into Greg's tree. It's far from ideal, but better than silent failure...

Daniel