Re: 2.6.17-rc5-mm1

From: Roman Zippel
Date: Thu Jun 01 2006 - 11:23:26 EST

Hi,

On Thu, 1 Jun 2006, Martin J. Bligh wrote:

> That doesn't seem to cover what we talked about clearly at all ?
> I suppose the _ALL stuff is meant to cover stuff with overhead,
> but frankly, what Ingo did seemed much clearer to me.

It just didn't make much sense, a config option only to configure the
default value of unseen values?
If we have too many debug options, I don't mind to hide them behind an
advanced config option, but their default values should not differ between
their visible and hidden state, so that the user sees the real values when
he enables the advanced option.
A config option which only configures the default values is much less
useful, in an already configured kernel it's completely useless to an user
who only wants to enable some runtime checks and unless he reads the help
text _carefully_, he might even think that he just enabled some runtime
checks. AFAIC such stuff is NACKed.

bye, Roman