Re: [ckrm-tech] [RFC 0/4] sched: Add CPU rate caps (improved)

From: Peter Williams
Date: Fri Jun 09 2006 - 02:20:34 EST

MAEDA Naoaki wrote:
Peter Williams wrote:
I've done some informal testing with smaller values of CAP_STATS_OFFSET and there is only a minor improvement.

However, something that does improve behaviour for short lived tasks is to increase the value of HZ. This is because the basic unit of CPU
allocation by the scheduler is 1/HZ and this is also the minimum time (and granularity) with which sinbinning and other capping measures can be implemented. This is the fundamental limiting factor for the accuracy of capping i.e. if everything worked perfectly the best granularity that can be expected from capping of short lived tasks is 1000 / (HZ * duration) where duration is in seconds.

I already defines CONFIG_HZ=1000. Do you suggest increasing more?

No.

Peter
--
Dr Peter Williams, Chief Scientist <peterw@xxxxxxxxxx>