Re: [Ext2-devel] [RFC 0/13] extents and 48bit ext3

From: Jeff Garzik
Date: Fri Jun 09 2006 - 10:35:00 EST

Alex Tomas wrote:
Jeff Garzik (JG) writes:

JG> And thus, inodes are progressively incompatible with older
JG> kernels. Boot into an older kernel, and you can now only read half
JG> your filesystem (if it even allows mount at all).

nope, you aren't allowed to mount fs with extents-enabled files
by ext3 which has no the feature compiled in. the same will
happen if you call it ext4.

This is my point... why increase user confusion by calling it ext3, then?

Extent magnify the "what ext3 filesystem am I talking to, today?" problem.

Jeff