Re: [Ext2-devel] [RFC 0/13] extents and 48bit ext3

From: Linus Torvalds
Date: Fri Jun 09 2006 - 12:09:13 EST

On Fri, 9 Jun 2006, Gerrit Huizenga wrote:

> Jeff's approach taken to the rediculous would mean that we'd have
> ext versions 1-40 by now at least. I don't think that helps much,
> either.

On the other hand, I _guarantee_ you that it helps that we have ext2-3,
and not just ext2 (nobody even tried to keep ext1 compatible, thank the
Gods).

If for no other reason, than the fact that the ext3 development could be
much more aggressive early on. Exactly because it did NOT screw up the old
filesystem that everybody else depended on.

So we have empirical evidence that splitting filesystem work up does
actually help.

Linus