Re: [Ext2-devel] [RFC 0/13] extents and 48bit ext3

From: Jeff Garzik
Date: Fri Jun 09 2006 - 12:52:10 EST

Alex Tomas wrote:
Jeff Garzik (JG) writes:

JG> If it will remain a mount option, if it is never made the
>> default
JG> (either in kernel or distro level), then only 1% of users will ever
JG> use the feature. And we shouldn't merge a 1% use feature into the
JG> _main_ filesystem for Linux.
>> strictly speaking, not that many users really need >2TB fs ...

JG> Not true. Terabyte SATA drives are less than a year away. 2TB
JG> drives... probably 2 years?

oh, 2 years sound long enough for defaulting extents?

If terabyte drives will be here in less than a year, and 750GB drives are already here, then people with today's commodity hardware are probably already chomping at the bit to do >2TB LVM and RAID.

Hook eight 750GB SATA drives to a Marvell SATA controller (all commodity, all production) and you're way past 2TB.

Jeff