Re: [Ext2-devel] [RFC 0/13] extents and 48bit ext3

From: Chase Venters
Date: Fri Jun 09 2006 - 14:24:28 EST

On Fri, 9 Jun 2006, Gerrit Huizenga wrote:

We are seeing storage needs increasing at a frightening rate. Health
Care folks want to store your MRI's, x-ray's, ultraounds, etc. in high
res digital format across your entire life in near-line format. Terabytes
over time per person. Europe is already doing this pretty extensively,
the US is following suit. Digital media creation has huge storage needs.
Most everything is moving to podcasts, webcasts, streaming audio & video.
Storage is huge, and ext3 is at the current breaking point.

I'd argue that whatever we call it, we need a standard, stable, supported
solution *soon* for large files, large filesystems, large storage systems
in Linux.

I'd think the quickest path is to relieve the pressure now in ext3.

Makes sense...

So we have empirical evidence that splitting filesystem work up does
actually help.

Agreed. But... Maybe that should be the set of changes *following*
extents. Then the file format can change, several of the pending ideas
can be worked in, and some of the backwards compatibility can be cleaned
out if it is in the way. Then the extents work can get us something
usable in all the interim distro releases for the real users who are
screaming now about the filesystem size limits.

Let's call ext3 "Linux 2.4" for a second and ext(x) w/extents and 48-bit "Linux 2.5". We can now do all the crazy, wild work we want on 2.5, but people need it tomorrow. And they can have it, but we're stamping "Dangerous! Dangerous! Unstable! API changes every 5 minutes, your data will be obsoleted each release!" all over it. This goes on for years until we finally reach a point where we can roll out "Linux 2.6".

The trouble is that "Linux 2.6" is something many of us are going to be wanting _now_.

Now, taking the quotes back off "Linux 2.6" and speaking about the kernel as a whole again - isn't lots of incremental stable releases with new functionality something that cutting off the development arm made possible?

I acknowledge the concerns about filesystem stability and Linus's points about improperly shared code. From a practical standpoint, I see the need of bigger filesystems coming.

And the biggest practical problem I see is one of perception. Making 'ext4' means labelling it unstable for a while. And once something like a _filesystem_ is called unstable, it's going to be a long time before people trust it with terabytes of their incredibly valuable data (even if we promise them that it's mostly an ext3 fork).

Whereas if you play with some experimental 48-bit extension on ext3, well, ext3 already has a good reputation and is in use everywhere, so maybe this isn't a bad "last feature" to add before forking off into ext4-land?

gerrit

Cheers,
Chase