Re: [Ext2-devel] [RFC 0/13] extents and 48bit ext3

From: Jeff Garzik
Date: Fri Jun 09 2006 - 17:48:17 EST

Stephen C. Tweedie wrote:
Hi,

On Fri, 2006-06-09 at 16:04 -0400, Jeff Garzik wrote:

Consider a blkdev of size S1. Using LVM we increase that value under the hood to size S2, where S2 > S1. We perform an online resize from size S1 to S2. The size and alignment of any new groups added will different from the non-resize case, where mke2fs was run directly on a blkdev of size S2.

No, they won't. We simply grow the last block group in the filesystem
up to the size where we'd naturally add another block group anyway; and
then, we add another block group exactly where it would have been on a
fresh mkfs.

Yes but the inodes per group etc. would differ.

Jeff