Re: [Ext2-devel] [RFC 0/13] extents and 48bit ext3

From: Andreas Dilger
Date: Fri Jun 09 2006 - 20:44:21 EST

On Jun 09, 2006 19:44 -0400, Jeff Garzik wrote:
> Stephen C. Tweedie wrote:
> > No, we add the same number of inodes in the new groups that all the
> > previous groups have.
>
> Yes. Re-read what I wrote. To put it another way, "mkfs S1 + resize to
> S2" does not produce precisely the same layout as "mkfs S2".

And in what way is that important? I mean, really, if this is your argument
that ext3 online resizing is a "hack" then it is pretty weak. This does
not affect the operation or compatibility of the resized filesystem all the
way back to the stone age (i.e. every single ext2 kernel ever will work
with the resized filesystem). That is why online resizing (and the resize
inode) are a COMPAT feature.

If I "cp b a /mnt/newfs" and "cp a b /mnt/newfs" "a" and "b" will have
different inode numbers too, but doesn't mean that "cp" is a "hack".

Cheers, Andreas
--
Andreas Dilger
Principal Software Engineer