Re: [Ext2-devel] [RFC 0/13] extents and 48bit ext3

From: Jeff Garzik
Date: Sat Jun 10 2006 - 11:02:15 EST

Ingo Molnar wrote:
the ext3 -> ext4 patches add +2115 lines of code (which 2115 lines solve the biggest performance and scaling problem ext3 currently has), which is 1.9% of the linecount of XFS.

Indeed!

ext3 does quite a few things to stay compatible with ext2 - and frankly, i very much expected it to do that when i migrated my ext2 data to ext3. The days of "change the world in an incompatible way and dont look back" are gone.

I agree with your point in the thread -- most users and distros don't change their main fs on a whim. But I also point out that these extent+48bit changes _do_ change the format in an incompatible way...

Jeff