Re: [Ext2-devel] [RFC 0/13] extents and 48bit ext3

From: Jeff Garzik
Date: Sat Jun 10 2006 - 18:20:36 EST

Theodore Tso wrote:
So you you would be in OK of a model where we copy fs/ext3 to
"fs/ext4", and do development there which would merged rapidly into
mainline so that people who want to participate in testing can use
ext3dev, while people who want stability can use ext3 --- and at some
point, we remove the old ext3 entirely and let fs/ext4 register itself
as both the ext3 and ext4 filesystem, and at some point in the future,
remove the ext3 name entirely?

Yep, and in addition I would argue that you can take the opportunity to make ext4 default to extents-enabled, and some similar behavior changes (dir_index default?). The existence of both ext3 and ext4 means you can be more aggressive in turning on stuff, IMO.

Jeff