Re: VGER does gradual SPF activation (FAQ matter)

From: jdow
Date: Mon Jun 12 2006 - 04:22:32 EST

From: "Bernd Petrovitsch" <bernd@xxxxxxxxx>

On Sat, 2006-06-10 at 22:17 -0700, jdow wrote:
[...]
that matter. It simply says, "When I went and looked at the guy's claimed
mail source the spf record said he was who he said he was." Who vouches

No. SPF simply defines legitimate outgoing MTAs for a given domain.
Within a domain, it is up to the postmaster to allow/disallow address
forgery and for the rest of a world (to tell where legitimate email of
his domain comes from), the postmaster defines SPF records.

Bernd

And just recently we received a spate of spam that came from a domain
that disappeared almost immediately. Domain names are cheap. They can
vouch for the spam run. Then what happens to them doesn't matter. But
the SPF record passes.

{^_-} There Ain't No Such Thing As A Free Lunch.
Too many people think SPF is a free lunch.