Re: VGER does gradual SPF activation (FAQ matter)

From: Matthew Frost
Date: Mon Jun 12 2006 - 13:27:01 EST

Matthias Andree wrote:
On Sun, 11 Jun 2006, Matti Aarnio wrote:
SPF is a non-starter.

Perhaps you should consider having filters look at the *content* of
messages. Does it fit how common messages look on vger lists? Or does it
look like the usual spam? bogofilter can to it. qsf can do it. spamprobe
can do it. crm114 can do it. Some of these (bogofilter for instance)
can ascertain how much it's spam, how much it's wanted, or if it's
undecided.

This is a great point; spam on linux-kernel, of all places, is notable by what it looks like. Subject headers don't look right, and the content bears very little resemblance to l-k ham. Maybe hand-filtering is catching the stuff that appears adapted to spoof legitimate kernel mail, but if so, it has a great track record. Spammers don't seem to be targeting linux-kernel patterns. Heck, I can train thunderbird to filter spam correctly by content for linux-kernel. Bayesian works well. Since it runs through Yahoo first, I often have to fight Yahoo for my legitimate email; that may change my mileage. However, the other notable characteristic is the fact that this list ignores spam. If it has a reply, it may be a flame, it may be a troll, but it hasn't ever been spam in my experience.

Why pursue brokenness unless it's your last resort? You can break a lot of eggs without making anything edible, let alone an omelette.

Matt