Re: VGER does gradual SPF activation (FAQ matter)

From: Matthias Andree
Date: Mon Jun 12 2006 - 18:54:03 EST

On Mon, 12 Jun 2006, Simon Oosthoek wrote:

> Finally, if you consider doing this, why not consider closing the
> mailinglist to a subscription only list, that will work so much better
> than this "free lunch" (to quote someone else)

OK, this was suggested elsewhere, and often, and list regulars keep
replying they want the list open for bug submissions. Bugzilla for this
task of bug reporting aside, if the list is closed, it seems someone
will have to moderate messages from non-subscribers and allow sane ones
to pass and discard the advertising.

This is where Bayesian filtering can also help, by sorting out which
message is likely spam and which is likely not and reducing the strain
on the Bayesian filtering database janitors.

Perhaps this is an acceptable compromise, but judging from past
experience, I'd say it shouldn't be a promise but rather requires some
information, such as knowing which percentage of postings are from
unsubscribed list members. Are the numbers relevant at all?

--
Matthias Andree