Re: [SPARSEMEM] confusing uses of SPARSEM_EXTREME (try #2)

From: Franck Bui-Huu
Date: Tue Jun 13 2006 - 04:50:05 EST

Hi Dave,

2006/6/12, Dave Hansen <haveblue@xxxxxxxxxx>:
On Mon, 2006-06-12 at 09:00 +0200, Franck Bui-Huu wrote:
> Is it me or the use of CONFIG_SPARSEMEM_EXTREME is really confusing in
> mm/sparce.c ? Shouldn't we use CONFIG_SPARSEMEM_STATIC instead like
> the following patch suggests ?

I'll take positive config options over negative ones any day. I find it
easier to read things that say what they *are* rather than what they are
*not*.

In any case, STATIC is really there as an override for architectures to
say, "I know what I am doing, I use gcc 3.4 and above, or, I don't want
to use bootmem". Extreme is really there to say, "I want two-level
lookups because my memory is extremely sparse."

Make sense?

yes and that's what the patch is trying to show...please take a look
to it and show me what part of the code, used by SPARSEMEM_STATIC
config, is dealing with the two-level lookups.

thanks
--
Franck