Re: 2.6.17: networking bug??

From: Chase Venters
Date: Tue Jun 13 2006 - 18:08:06 EST

On Tue, 13 Jun 2006, John Heffner wrote:

In the last couple years, we've added code that can automatically size the buffers as appropriate for each connection, but it's completely crippled unless you use a window scale. Personally, I think it's not a question of *whether* we have to start using a window scale by default, but *when*. I don't know that we want to let a small number of unambiguously broken middleboxes kill our forward progress.

Another example - Same thing happened with ECN. I recall setting up a mail server at the time and noticing that I had to disable ECN because some dumbass PIX routers out there were dropping packets with a _reserved bit_ set! Sure, there was a firmware upgrade, but the dingbat admins I tried to alert didn't seem (at the time) too interested in fixing their problem.

Does anyone have any interesting statistics on how often end-users are likely to run into this crap? It really is a shame when you have to suck just because someone else does.

Thanks,
-John

Cheers,
Chase