Re: Kernel-level IP autoconfiguration and nodename

From: Jan Engelhardt
Date: Wed Jun 14 2006 - 19:38:01 EST

> However, I'm unable to get the client machine get its hostname from
> the DHCP server. What is really strange is that the kernel itself is
> able to autoconfigure itself using DHCP, and I can see during boot

I think that's obsolete since you can do it from initrd/initramfs for a
looong time.
BTW, if so, why has not this been removed yet?

> that a hostname is assigned to the client, as shown before:
>
> IP-Config: eth0 complete (from 10.0.0.2):
> address: 10.0.0.10 broadcast: 10.255.255.255 netmask: 255.0.0.0
> gateway: 10.0.0.2 dns0 : 10.0.0.2 dns1 : 0.0.0.0
> host : client1
> domain : lan
> rootserver: 10.0.0.2 rootpath:
>
> However, both "uname -n" and hostname return "(none)". I have tried

It is only a very simple dhcp client that only requests the lease
once in a boot lifetime, even if the server will drop the lease when
it expired.
Well, it does not explain your problem below, but IMO it's not worth
looking into any further.

> hacking the initram, but I have been unable to guess why, although the
> kernel is receiving a hostname via DHCP, hostname ends up being
> "(none)".
>
> I've been reading net/ipv4/ipconfig.c and seems like
> system_utsname.nodename is being set to the host name received via
> DHCP, but I can't guess why /proc/sys/kernel/hostname keeps returning
> "(none)".
>
> Any ideas?
>
> Thank you very much.
> -