Re: klibc

From: H. Peter Anvin
Date: Fri Jun 16 2006 - 15:18:50 EST

Followup to: <bda6d13a0606152302v6598ce84sf4c7066705c3284f@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
By author: "Joshua Hudson" <joshudson@xxxxxxxxx>
In newsgroup: linux.dev.kernel

> I've come to the conclusion that there is no good way to return to the
> initramfs at all
> after init moves to the real root device. What I have found is that the only way
> is for another process to keep a cwd or open file handle on the initramfs which
> plays very badly with killall.
>
> Anybody got a way to make a user process other than init involunerable
> to kill -9? <g>

Actually, does init close all its file descriptors? Otherwise you
could simply pass a file descriptor to init when init is executed.

If init explicitly closes file descriptors then that's not possible,
but perhaps that could be fixed in init.

On the other hand, if you killall -9 arbitrary processes as root, then
perhaps getting a dirty filesystem on reboot is ugly but not
catastrophic.

-hpa