Re: 2.6.17: networking bug??

From: Helge Hafting
Date: Mon Jun 19 2006 - 03:09:10 EST

Mark Lord wrote:

Unilaterally following the standard is all well and good
for those who know how to get around it when a site becomes
inaccessible, but not for Joe User.

So lets enable it in the kernel, and let the distros turn it off.
The Joe User who isn't a kernel hacker won't be running 2.6.17
in a long time. He'll be running whatever his distro packages for him,
and they will know how to disable (or patch out) window scaling.

Someone who compiles his own kernel runs into all sorts of
issues, this is just one more of them.
If it always fails, or always works, that's not such a big problem.
I would never have complained if I had never been able to access
the web sites in question. But since it IS working in 2.6.16,
and got broken in 2.6.17, I'm bloody well going to complain.
Yes. And make sure you complain to those running the bad
box as well.

Helge Hafting