Re: [patch] increase spinlock-debug looping timeouts from 1 sec to1 min

From: Andrew Morton
Date: Mon Jun 19 2006 - 04:31:53 EST

On Mon, 19 Jun 2006 10:12:52 +0200
Ingo Molnar <mingo@xxxxxxx> wrote:

> * Andrew Morton <akpm@xxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> > On Mon, 19 Jun 2006 09:02:29 +0200
> > Ingo Molnar <mingo@xxxxxxx> wrote:
> >
> > > Subject: increase spinlock-debug looping timeouts from 1 sec to 1
> > > min
> >
> > But it's broken. In the non-debug case we subtract RW_LOCK_BIAS so we
> > know that the writer will get the lock when all readers vacate. But
> > in the CONFIG_DEBUG_SPINLOCK case we don't do that, with the result
> > that taking a write_lock can take over a second.
> >
> > A much, much better fix (which involves visiting all architectures)
> > would be to subtract RW_LOCK_BIAS and _then_ wait for a second.
>
> no. Write-locks are unfair too, and there's no guarantee that writes are
> listened to. That's why nested read_lock() is valid, while nested
> down_read() is invalid.
>
> Take a look at arch/i386/kernel/semaphore.c, __write_lock_failed() just
> adds back the RW_LOCK_BIAS and retries in a loop. There's no difference
> to an open-coded write_trylock loop - unless i'm missing something
> fundamental.

OK. That sucks. A sufficiently large machine with the right mix of
latencies will get hit by the NMI watchdog in write_lock_irq().

But presumably the situation is much worse with CONFIG_DEBUG_SPINLOCK
because of that __delay().

So how about we remove the __delay() (which is wrong anyway, because
loops_per_jiffy isn't calculated with a write_trylock() in the loop (which
means we're getting scarily close to the NMI watchdog at present)).

Instead, calculate a custom loops_per_jiffy for this purpose in
lib/spinlock_debug.c?