Re: [RFC] Whitelist chipsets supporting MSI and check Hyper-transport capabilities

From: Grant Grundler
Date: Mon Jun 19 2006 - 11:25:50 EST

On Mon, Jun 19, 2006 at 01:19:55PM +0200, Xavier Bestel wrote:
> On Sat, 2006-06-17 at 07:05, Matthew Wilcox wrote:
> > On Fri, Jun 16, 2006 at 11:01:46PM -0400, Brice Goglin wrote:
> > > We introduce whitelisting of chipsets that are known to support MSI and
> > > keep the existing backlisting to disable MSI for other chipsets. When it
> > > is unknown whether the root chipset support MSI or not, we disable MSI
> > > by default except if pci=forcemsi was passed.
> >
> > I think that's a bad idea. Blacklisting is the better idea in the long-term.
>
> I think the option adopted elsewhere is: whitelist for old chipsets, and
> blacklist for new chipsets. You just have to decide for a good date to
> separate "old" and "new" to minimize the lists size.

I agree with willy.

White lists work "well" only if one's goal is to reduce the number
of bug reports about _all_ HW. Most folks with _working_ MSI (but not
already on the whitelist) won't know they could report this as a bug.
Ie these chipsets likely won't ever get added to the whitelist.

thanks,
grant