Re: Resource Management Requirements (was "[RFC] CPU controllers?")

From: Srivatsa Vaddagiri
Date: Tue Jun 20 2006 - 01:39:29 EST

On Mon, Jun 19, 2006 at 12:03:23PM -0700, Chandra Seetharaman wrote:
> On Sun, 2006-06-18 at 17:28 +1000, Nick Piggin wrote:
>
> > OK... let me put it more clearly. What are the requirements?

At a very broad-level, all the requirements pointed by Chandra below boil down
to the requirement of providing guaranteed CPU usage for a group of
tasks and the ability of limiting (hard or soft) CPU usage of other group of
tasks.

At a finer-level, this broad requirement could be interpreted and implemented
in a number of ways (ex: by having kernel support only task-level limit and
implementing group-level in user-space etc) and thats what this RFC was
about - to discuss what minimal kernel support would be needed to
support the above broad requirement!

--
Regards,
vatsa