Re: gcc-4.1.1 and kernel-2.4.32

From: Mikael Pettersson
Date: Wed Jun 21 2006 - 10:10:14 EST

On Wed, 21 Jun 2006 15:17:34 +0200 (MET DST), Herbert Rosmanith wrote:
> trying to compile 2.4.32 with gcc-4.1.1 (probably any 4.x gcc?) produces
> a lot of errors, (i.e., declaration of symbols of different types and so on).
>
> I wonder if it is planned to be fixed? No idea who's maintaining it -
> in case you want to, I could send you diffs to make 2.4.32 compile.

Not reading LKML much, eh? Anyway, it's already being taken care of; see
<http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=linux-kernel&m=115058555819917&w=2> for
well-tested patches for 2.4.33-rc1. They probably apply to 2.4.32 as well.

The powers that be have decreed that gcc-4 fixes won't be accepted
into the official 2.4 kernel, which is a pity since they are smaller
and simpler than the gcc-3.4 fixes which did get included.

/Mikael