Re: gcc-4.1.1 and kernel-2.4.32

From: Alistair John Strachan
Date: Wed Jun 21 2006 - 15:28:33 EST

On Wednesday 21 June 2006 15:25, Herbert Rosmanith wrote:
> > In effect (mainline) no. Linux 2.2 and 2.0 won't be fixed for the same
> > reason; called deep maintenance. 2.6 has been on the road since Dec 2003,
> > that's over 2 years. Do away with the old stuff.
>
> we are in the process of switching, which is not unproblematic. on
> the other hand, we have to support existing installations as well.

FWIW, distributions generally let you install older GCCs. Hopefully your
distribution still has 2.95.3 in its repository, so you could install this to
get a well tested (and probably smaller code generating) compiler for 2.4
kernels. gcc -V <version> can be used to switch between them, if your
distributor opts to install to the same prefix.

--
Cheers,
Alistair.

Third year Computer Science undergraduate.