Re: No interfaces under /proc/sys/net/ipv4/conf/

From: Hasso Tepper
Date: Thu Jun 22 2006 - 04:53:01 EST

Hasso Tepper wrote:
> After upgrade to 2.6.16.20 from 2.6.11 I discovered that no dynamic
> interfaces (vlans, tunnels) appear under /proc/sys/net/ipv4/conf/.
> /proc/sys/net/ipv6/conf/ is OK.

OK, realised out that it's feature. Entries in /proc/sys/net/*/conf/ are
not created if interface doesn't have at least one ipv4/ipv6 address.

I can think of workarounds for most of problems (although it breaks a hell
lot of software here), but how I suppose to configure ipv6 settings for
interfaces which have to obtain global ipv6 address via autoconf so that
it will work even if cable is not plugged in? I did via /etc/sysctl.conf,
but now ... machine boots with no link => no link-local address =>
no /proc/sys/net/ipv6/conf/<interfce> => configuration fails.

regards,

--
Hasso Tepper