Re: [patch 50/61] lock validator: special locking: hrtimer.c

From: Ingo Molnar
Date: Fri Jun 23 2006 - 06:57:59 EST

* Andrew Morton <akpm@xxxxxxxx> wrote:

> > perhaps the naming should be clearer? I had it named
> > spin_lock_init_standalone() originally, then cleaned it up to be
> > spin_lock_init_static(). Maybe the original name is better?
> >

> hm. This is where a "term of art" is needed. What is lockdep's
> internal term for locks-of-a-different-type? It should have such a
> term.

'lock type' is what i tried to use consistenty.

> "class" would be a good term, although terribly overused. Using that
> as an example, spin_lock_init_standalone_class()? ug.
>
> <gives up>
>
> You want spin_lock_init_singleton().

hehe ;)

singleton wouldnt be enough here as we dont want just one instance of
this lock type: we want separate types for each array entry. I.e. we
dont want to unify the lock types (as the common spin_lock_init() call
suggests), we want to split them along their static addresses.

singleton initialization is what spin_lock_init() itself accomplishes:
the first call to a given spin_lock_init() will register a 'lock type'
structure, and all subsequent calls to spin_lock_init() will find this
type registered already. (keyed by the lockdep-type-key embedded in the
spin_lock_init() macro)

so - spin_lock_init_split_type() might be better i think and expresses
the purpose (to split away this type from the other lock types
initialized here).

Or we could simply get rid of this static-variables special-case and
embedd a lock_type_key in the runqueue and use
spin_lock_init_key(&rq->rq_lock_key)? That would unify the 'splitting'
of types for static and dynamic locks. (at a minimal cost of .data) Hm?

Ingo