Re: Geode patches for 2.6.17

From: Jordan Crouse
Date: Fri Jun 23 2006 - 17:01:29 EST

On 23/06/06 19:41 +0100, Alan Cox wrote:
> Ar Gwe, 2006-06-23 am 11:00 -0600, ysgrifennodd Jordan Crouse:
> > Add a configuration option to avoid automatically probing VGA
>
> Can you not do this automatically using the DMI data or PCI subvendor
> id ?

This option actually disables VGA probing kernel wide - it essentially
skips all of video.S during boot, and then disallows any drivers that may
depend on that data (VGA console being the prime example).

While I am about 85% sure that probing the missing VGA/VESA registers will
not cause any problems, the values read will be nonsense, and I wanted to
avoid the possibility that any part of the code will blindly use the
returned data without checking it.

The option is triggered off of EMBEDDED, and I felt it would be buried
deep enough to not cause heartburn to the casual user.

Jordan

--
Jordan Crouse
Senior Linux Engineer