USB & Sysfs Question ( posible issue )

From: Razvan Gavril
Date: Mon Jun 26 2006 - 11:50:22 EST

If i had a usb-serial device in linux, i can/could find a symlink in /sys/bus/usb-serial/devices named ttyUSBX that is/was pointing to another sysfs directory, which is in /sys/device. The directory in the /device looked something like this : /devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:02.0/usb1/1-3/1-3:1.0/ttyUSBX . As far i could figure out the '... usb1/1-3/...' part from the path means that the device is connected to the port 3 of the 1st usb controler.

I used this for a long of time to uniquely identify phisical usb ports from a computer, when upgrading to 2.6.17, something strange started to happen: even if i didn't remove the usb device from a specified port of a the computer, sometimes when rebooting the usb controlers changed their numbers in sysfs. A device that was before the reboot '...usb1/1-3/...' can be now ' ...usb2/2-3...' or '...usb4/4-3...'.

The main idea is that an usb port can't no loger be identified only by looking on it's sysfs path. Is this a normal behavior ? I'm asking this as i didn't get this numbering change when using older 2.6 kernel.

Thanks

--
Razvan Gavril