Re: [patch] ACPI: reduce code size, clean up, fix validator message

From: Ingo Molnar
Date: Mon Jun 26 2006 - 16:03:34 EST

* Brown, Len <len.brown@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Keep in perspective, however, that we have over 200 functional issues
> unresolved in bugzilla.kernel.org, and spending time on syntax changes
> is generally a lower priority.

well, it's your baby and they are your priorities (and i'm really not
trying to interfere), but still - my personal experience is that syntax
and functional correctness are strongly connected. I dont claim that
this particular issue of lock initialization and abstraction is a big
deal in itself, but cruft does add up over time and becomes a real
obstacle. I usually spend alot of quality time cleaning up my own code,
because i know that it directly results in a better ability to improve,
extend or debug the code in the future. [ Then again, i dont write code
for 9 platforms :-) ]

( for example the ACPI practice of allocating opaque 'handler' pointers
that carry no type at [they are void *] is playing with fire. It in
essence disables the remaining little bit of type-safety that C has. )

Ingo