Re: Suspend2 - Request for review & inclusion in -mm

From: Pavel Machek
Date: Tue Jun 27 2006 - 09:34:38 EST

Hi!

> I'd like, at long last, to submit Suspend2 for review and inclusion in -mm.
>
> All going well, I'll shortly be sending a number of sets of patches, which
> together represent the whole of suspend2 as it stands at the moment. Those of
> you who've looked at Suspend2 code before will see that there are far fewer
> changes outside of kernel/power than there have been in the past. In some
> cases, this is because we were early adopters of some functionality that has
> now been merged, and in others because better, less intrusive ways have been
> found of doing some things.
>
> Some of the advantages of suspend2 over swsusp and uswsusp are:
>
> - Speed (Asynchronous I/O and readahead for synchronous I/O)

uswsusp should be able to match suspend2's speed. It can do async I/O,
etc...

> - Well tested in a wide range of configurations
> - Supports multiple swap partitions and files

Doable in userspace with uswsusp.

> - Supports writing to ordinary files and raw devices.

Should be doable in userspace with uswsusp, too; I actually had raw
devices version at one point.

> - Userspace helpers for user interface and storage management.

Better put it completely in userspace :-).

> - Support for cancelling the suspend at any point while the image is being
> written (can be disabled)

uswsusp does that... or did that at some point.

> - Can be configured and reconfigured without rebooting.

No problem for uswsusp.

> - Scripting support

What does that mean?
Pavel