Re: [GIT *] make headers_install

From: David Woodhouse
Date: Wed Jun 28 2006 - 20:21:09 EST

On Thu, 2006-06-29 at 00:44 +0100, Ralf Baechle wrote:
> Thanks for the time you've been pouring into this. Copying kernel
> header into applications clearly didn't work too well, especially for
> arch stuff (two dozen and counting ...) it was a pain and each
> distribution had different sets of hacked kernel headers.

The technical part wasn't very time-consuming at all. Arnd provided the
basic implementation, and I just tweaked it a little to use unifdef and
be a bit more selective about what we export. It's probably taken less
time than it would have done to get Fedora's 'glibc-kernheaders' package
into shape manually the way it always used to be done -- and it'll
_certainly_ be a Godsend for future updates.

The time-consuming part was chasing up those who look after similar
packages in other distributions and making sure they were happy enough
with the principle too -- tracking them down on IRC when they ignored my
emails.

The current hurdle seems to be getting Linus to take it or at least
comment, now that everyone _else_ seems to be fairly much in agreement.
I'm hoping we don't have to let it drag on till the Kernel Summit.

--
dwmw2