Re: [Patch][RFC] Disabling per-tgid stats on task exit in taskstats

From: Paul Jackson
Date: Thu Jun 29 2006 - 20:37:11 EST

Shailabh wrote:
> Uh, oh....looks like I've triggered another monologue from PJ :-)

Oh dear, my reputation precedes me.

> The overhead of creating cpusets just for this
> reason seems excessive when the need is only to
> reduce the number of sockets to monitor

What sort of overhead do you have in mind here?

I'm suspecting you mean the mental overhead to the programmer coding
for this, who might complain at having to learn a whole new subsystem
(cpusets) just to say how to group CPUs for collecting these stats.

> Throttling or flow control etc. would be a systemwide policy.

My natural inclination is to disagree with this. Increasingly
popular large systems running heterogenous loads benefit from
finer granularity policies.

Though I will be honest in acknowledging that I have not studied
these taskstats in detail, so my inclinations may be off the mark.

--
I won't rest till it's the best ...
Programmer, Linux Scalability