Re: 2.6.17-mm5 -- Busted toolchain? -- usr/klibc/exec_l.c:59:undefined reference to `__stack_chk_fail'

From: Robert Hancock
Date: Sun Jul 02 2006 - 13:33:44 EST

Miles Lane wrote:
Well, from the web page referenced at the top of this message, you
can see that they are already aware of these issues:

Cons:
* It breaks current upstream kernel builds and potentially
other direct usages of gcc. Kernel is by far the most important use
case. Upstream should change the default options to build with
-fno-stack-protector by default.
* It is not conformant to upstream gcc behaviour.

I don't see why the kernel should have to insert compile flags to counteract any random non-default compile flags that the system may decide to insert. I think the way Ubuntu has done this is broken, they are essentially changing the default settings on the compiler in a way which breaks the kernel due to needing external libraries.

--
Robert Hancock Saskatoon, SK, Canada
To email, remove "nospam" from hancockr@xxxxxxxxxxxxx