Re: 2.6.17-mm5 -- Busted toolchain? -- usr/klibc/exec_l.c:59: undefinedreference to `__stack_chk_fail'

From: H. Peter Anvin
Date: Sun Jul 02 2006 - 13:43:56 EST

Robert Hancock wrote:
Miles Lane wrote:
Well, from the web page referenced at the top of this message, you
can see that they are already aware of these issues:

Cons:
* It breaks current upstream kernel builds and potentially
other direct usages of gcc. Kernel is by far the most important use
case. Upstream should change the default options to build with
-fno-stack-protector by default.
* It is not conformant to upstream gcc behaviour.

I don't see why the kernel should have to insert compile flags to counteract any random non-default compile flags that the system may decide to insert. I think the way Ubuntu has done this is broken, they are essentially changing the default settings on the compiler in a way which breaks the kernel due to needing external libraries.

There is a good answer to that question, and that is, the kernel is the special case. It DOES make sense to let the distribution set the default to whatever they think the end user should use for applications. The kernel can deal with it easily enough.

-hpa