[OT] Re: Driver for Microsoft USB Fingerprint Reader

From: Alistair John Strachan
Date: Mon Jul 03 2006 - 13:35:04 EST

On Monday 03 July 2006 11:04, Alon Bar-Lev wrote:
[snip]
> I hate when vendors like ATI, Conexant and UPEK publish binary drivers
> without publishing the chipset spec... They should decide whether
> their IP is on the software part or on the hardware part, if it is on
> the hardware part, they are making money in selling the hardware. If
> it is on the software part, there is no reason why not providing the
> information for others to write software to work with the primitive
> hardware. So in either case there should be full hardware interface
> disclosure.

Personally, I'm annoyed that Reverse Engineering is so frowned upon that
stupid laws get passed to block it, and that the practice is misrepresented
by the media.

I think degree programs for Computer Science and Engineering at Universities
across (at least) Europe should run reverse engineering courses for those
interested.

Assembler and the ability to read machine code is becoming a forgotten skill,
and it's the only way that we can help negate vendors' "anti-choice,
anti-consumer" attitude.

--
Cheers,
Alistair.

Final year Computer Science undergraduate.