Re: Driver for Microsoft USB Fingerprint Reader

From: Daniel Bonekeeper
Date: Mon Jul 03 2006 - 16:52:17 EST

hahahaha I wish I could... well, you are _always_ welcome to donate me
yours ! =P
I'll try more later to get one of those readers...

Reading Greg's comment, now I'm in doubt if this should really be in
kernel mode or at userspace. Since there is no standard (AFAIK) for
those readers, how should it be done ?

Another thing: where can I find documentation about the USB
architecture ? For example, I suppose that some (or all) USB devices
may have DMA capabilities... how is this done ?

[]'s
Daniel

On 7/3/06, Alon Bar-Lev <alon.barlev@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Daniel Bonekeeper wrote:
> Hello Alon !
> Unfortunately I don't have an accessible thinkpad laptop (luckly the
> external usb devices may work the same way). From the USB readers at
> http://www.upek.com/products/usb.asp, which one do you think that fits
> better the hardware on your laptop ?

I think that the TCRE3C is similar to the laptop one. I also
hope that it is the same... Also the laptop integrated one
is USB device.

Here is my device information:

Bus 003 Device 011: ID 0483:2016 SGS Thomson Microelectronics
Device Descriptor:
bLength 18
bDescriptorType 1
bcdUSB 1.00
bDeviceClass 0 (Defined at Interface level)
bDeviceSubClass 0
bDeviceProtocol 0
bMaxPacketSize0 8
idVendor 0x0483 SGS Thomson Microelectronics
idProduct 0x2016
bcdDevice 0.01
iManufacturer 1 STMicroelectronics
iProduct 2 Biometric Coprocessor
iSerial 0
bNumConfigurations 1
Configuration Descriptor:
bLength 9
bDescriptorType 2
wTotalLength 39
bNumInterfaces 1
bConfigurationValue 1
iConfiguration 0
bmAttributes 0xa0
Remote Wakeup
MaxPower 100mA
Interface Descriptor:
bLength 9
bDescriptorType 4
bInterfaceNumber 0
bAlternateSetting 0
bNumEndpoints 3
bInterfaceClass 255 Vendor Specific Class
bInterfaceSubClass 0
bInterfaceProtocol 0
iInterface 0
Endpoint Descriptor:
bLength 7
bDescriptorType 5
bEndpointAddress 0x81 EP 1 IN
bmAttributes 2
Transfer Type Bulk
Synch Type None
Usage Type Data
wMaxPacketSize 0x0040 1x 64 bytes
bInterval 0
Endpoint Descriptor:
bLength 7
bDescriptorType 5
bEndpointAddress 0x02 EP 2 OUT
bmAttributes 2
Transfer Type Bulk
Synch Type None
Usage Type Data
wMaxPacketSize 0x0040 1x 64 bytes
bInterval 0
Endpoint Descriptor:
bLength 7
bDescriptorType 5
bEndpointAddress 0x83 EP 3 IN
bmAttributes 3
Transfer Type Interrupt
Synch Type None
Usage Type Data
wMaxPacketSize 0x0004 1x 4 bytes
bInterval 20

> I was looking for any place that sells those devices and I could not
> find any online (even though I found lots of SDK and matching engines
> that supports them, like VeriFinger).
>
> Is there any place where I can buy one of those readers ?

Oh... I really don't know...
You can buy a new laptop :)

Best Regards,
Alon Bar-Lev.

--
What this world needs is a good five-dollar plasma weapon.