Re: [RFC 0/8] Reduce MAX_NR_ZONES and remove useless zones.

From: Christoph Lameter
Date: Tue Jul 04 2006 - 11:09:38 EST

On Tue, 4 Jul 2006, Christoph Hellwig wrote:

> On Mon, Jul 03, 2006 at 04:26:57PM -0700, Christoph Lameter wrote:
> > > Which btw is utterly wrong. It should have a 4GB ZONE_DMA32 and everything
> > > else in ZONE_NORMAL.
> >
> > So we want to change the definition of ZONE_DMA to refer to the first 16MB
> > only? ZONE_DMA32 is always a 4GB border?
>
> The definition of ZONE_DMA32 is to be te 32bit border. I think we should
> implement it wherever possible but at least on all architectures that
> maybe have non-iommu implementations. ZONE_DMA should be an arch-specific
> low memory zone.

I guess then we should drop ZONE_DMA (its a misnoner anyways since it
seems to indicate that DMA is only possible in this zone). Instead use

ZONE_ISA_DMA -> ISA DMA Area (16 MB boundary)
ZONE_32BIT_DMA -> 32bit DMA area (well 900 MB on x86_64 but somewhere in that area)
only used for 64 bit platforms with 32 bit devices.
<and maybe define new ones in the future?>

Some arches seem to make ZONE_DMA their default zone instead of
ZONE_NORMAL if DMA is possible to all of memory. I think in that case we
should have no ZONE_DMA at all.