Re: [patch] i386: early pagefault handler

From: Linus Torvalds
Date: Wed Jul 05 2006 - 12:53:27 EST

On Wed, 5 Jul 2006, H. Peter Anvin wrote:

> I don't remember what the failure mode was, though; didn't think it was
> recursive faulting.

I think we should probably remove the test. The failure mode was simply
that a machine with the "halt" idle loop simply didn't work, and would
lock up. The most likely reason for that is probably just a bad CPU power
VRM, and the potential high current fluctuations, not so much any CPU bug
itself.

Anybody with that old a CPU will have learnt to to say "no-hlt" or
whatever the kernel command line is, and we could probably retire the
silly old hlt check (which I'm not even sure really ever worked).

Linus