Re: ext4 features

From: Ric Wheeler
Date: Thu Jul 06 2006 - 11:18:15 EST

Tomasz Torcz wrote:

On Sat, Jul 01, 2006 at 07:47:16PM +0200, Thomas Glanzmann wrote:

Hello,

Checksums are not very useful for themselves. They are useful when we
have other copy of data (think raid mirroring) so data can be
reconstructed from working copy.

it would be possible to identify data corruption.

Yes, but what good is identification? We could only return I/O error.
Ability to fix corruption (like ZFS) is the real killer.

Having a checksum (or even a digital signature on a file) that lets us detect corruption is very useful since, in many cases, it allows us to flag the file as corrupt before it gets used.

In some cases, this is a big hint that you should restore it from backup (tape, other disk, etc).

I think that it is a generally useful thing even when not on a self correcting device,

ric