Re: + edac-new-opteron-athlon64-memory-controller-driver.patch added to -mm tree

From: Eric W. Biederman
Date: Thu Jul 06 2006 - 13:45:31 EST

Andi Kleen <ak@xxxxxx> writes:

>> With EDAC on my next boot I get positive confirmation that I either
>> pulled the DIMM that the error happened on, or I pulled a different
>> DIMM.
>
> How? You simulate a new error and let EDAC resolve it?

No. There is a status report that tells you which pieces of hardware
your memory controller sees. It is just a simple list.

>> To the best of my knowledge mcelog even with the --dmi option cannot
>> give me that.
>
> You mean identify if a given DIMM is still plugged in? You can get that
> information from dmidecode

If you can reliably decode an error to a DIMM that DMI reports, then
yes even if DMI gets the label wrong you can reboot and see if the label
you were aiming for is now missing. The principle is the same.

The difference is that you can't reliably use DMI to decode to a DIMM.

If you look at memory controller registers you can reliably do the
same thing without relying on DMI. It works every time.

Isn't something that just works, and is not at the mercy of the BIOS
developers with too little time worth doing?

Eric