Re: Strange Linux behaviour with blocking syscalls and stop signals+SIGCONT

From: Manfred Spraul
Date: Thu Jul 06 2006 - 14:41:36 EST

Michael Kerrisk wrote:

Michael: Could you replace the EINTR in inotify.c with ERESTARTNOHAND? That should prevent the kernel from showing the signal to user space.
I'd guess that most instances of EINTR are wrong, except in device drivers: It means we return from the syscall, even if the signal handler wants to restart the system call.

I'll try patching a kernel to s/EINTR/ERESTARTNOHAND/ in relevant
places, and see how that goes. If it goes well, I'll submit a patch.

1) I would go further and try ERESTARTSYS: ERESTARTSYS means that the kernel signal handler honors SA_RESTART
2) At least for the futex functions, it won't be as easy as replacing EINTR wiht ERESTARTSYS: the futex functions receive a timeout a the parameter, with the duration of the wait call as a parameter. You must use ERESTART_RESTARTBLOCK.

--
Manfred