Re: Strange Linux behaviour with blocking syscalls and stopsignals+SIGCONT

From: Michael Kerrisk
Date: Fri Jul 07 2006 - 03:01:53 EST

Von: Ulrich Drepper <drepper@xxxxxxxxxx>

> > Changing EINTR
> > to ERESTARTSYS is likely to have more impact on userland (though
> > it still strikes me as a desirable gola to have all system calls
> > restartable via SA_RESTART).
>
> This is certainly a nice goal but it changes the current ABI.

Yes, it does.

> Therefore
> it cannot be anything but an option and I don't assume we want to add so
> much cruft for just this.

There must be some framework for changing the kernel ABI over time.
We can't remain forever stuck with an ABI behaviour because
of the development model (i.e., no 2.7/2.8). And it probably
would not be that much code change to achieve the result?

Cheers,

Michael
--

"Feel free" â 10 GB Mailbox, 100 FreeSMS/Monat ...