Re: 2.6.17-mm6

From: Alistair John Strachan
Date: Fri Jul 07 2006 - 16:47:29 EST

On Thursday 06 July 2006 21:11, Greg KH wrote:
> On Thu, Jul 06, 2006 at 09:02:50PM +0100, Alistair John Strachan wrote:

> > > Looking at it, I don't see how that could happen.
> >
> > I don't think it's John's code. I commented out the sysfs registration
> > code from timekeeping_init_device() and the kernel gets further, where it
> > crashes on kmem_cache_create. SLAB also complains about "losing its name"
> > and being "of size 0".
> >
> > This happens identically on 2.6.18-rc1, and 2.6.17-mm6. Greg, could it be
> > anything you've changed recently? I considered bisectioning -mm, but
> > there's been a lot of RAID problems and I'm using RAID5.
>
> Please bisect 2.6.18-rc1 if you have git, as the problem is there, and
> would be good to track down.

I tried this, but it's extremely difficult when the kernel boots successfully
one every four times. I've already been thrown off the scent twice, bringing
my bisection count to 25..

I think I'll try an allnoconfig on this machine, hopefully that will boot,
then I just start enabling things again until it breaks.

--
Cheers,
Alistair.

Third year Computer Science undergraduate.