Re: uswsusp history lesson [was Re: [Suspend2-devel] Re: swsusp / suspend2 reliability]

From: Pavel Machek
Date: Sat Jul 08 2006 - 20:08:08 EST

Hi!

> > > I agree for uncompressed images - I tried timing the writing of the image
> > > yesterday. I'm not sure about LZF though, because I couldn't get it to
> > > resume. I'd be interested to see it really be as fast as suspend2 with
> > > compression.
> >
> > Is there any way to help you? I assume normal swsusp resumes okay so
> > it is not driver problem?
>
> That's right. I'll see if I can figure it out tomorrow, Lord willing. I
> have /dev/snapshot in my initrd but it gives that prompt asking for the
> device name. By the way, will it sit there foreever, or does that have a
> timeout?

AFAICT it will just sit there... Entering full path to resume device
should help at that point:

while (stat(resume_dev_name, &stat_buf)) {
printf("resume: Could not stat the resume device file.\n"
"\tPlease type in the file name to try again"
"\tor press ENTER to boot the system: ");
fgets(resume_dev_name, MAX_STR_LEN - 1, stdin);
n = strlen(resume_dev_name) - 1;
if (n <= 0)
return ENOENT;
if (resume_dev_name[n] == '\n')
resume_dev_name[n] = '\0';
}

BTW the way I get this to work is very hacky: just force root
filesystem to be ext2, then boot with init=/bin/bash, and launch
resume manually. I guess I should prepare myself proper initrd...

Pavel