Re: Opinions on removing /proc/tty?

From: Albert Cahalan
Date: Sun Jul 09 2006 - 01:29:16 EST

Jon Smirl writes:
On 7/8/06, Mike Galbraith <efault@xxxxxx> wrote:
On Fri, 2006-07-07 at 22:56 -0400, Jon Smirl wrote:

Does anyone use the info in /proc/tty? The hard coded device
names aren't compatible with udev's ability to rename things.

There also doesn't appear to be any useful info in the drivers
portion that isn't already available in sysfs. I can add some code
to make a list of registered line disciplines appear in sysfs.

Does anyone have a problem with deleting /proc/tty if
ldisc enum support is added to sysfs?

ps uses /proc/tty/drivers, so some coordination would be needed.

Greg, I just looked at the source for ps and it has a bunch
of fixed code for turning major/minor into /dev/name. Isn't
that something udevinfo should be doing? But looking at the
help for udevinfo I don't see any way to turn a major/minor
into /dev/name. The altermative seems to be search /dev
looking for the right device node.

By far, the best thing for procps (ps, top, etc.) would
be /proc/*/tty links. Code that, give everybody a year
to upgrade, and then... maybe.

There is no way I'm going to have the procps run a "udevinfo"
program, and I very much dislike relying on oddball libraries.
Reliability and performance matter; this isn't some GNOME/KDE
thing that can break just because 1 of 200 libraries changed.

In order, the procps code tries:

1. /proc/*/tty symlink (effectively commented out)
2. /proc/tty/drivers
3. /proc/*/fd/2 symlink
4. hard-coded guess
5. /proc/*/fd/255 symlink
6. "?"

Long ago, procps would search /dev for the mapping. This was
too slow to be done directly when ps ran, so a binary file in
/etc was used to cache the data. Keeping that file updated
was a major problem.

BTW, cruft gets ripped out some time after Debian-obsolete no
longer supports the old kernels.